Find Life Insurance - Trace and claim a missing life insurance policy.

Missing Assets - Lost Life Insurance Search

Unclaimed Life Insurance Benefits Owed Military Veterans

Unclaimed Veterans Benefits An unclaimed veteran benefit will not show up in a search of state unclaimed property databases, as it is an obligation of the federal government. For benefits due veterans, including disability payments, burial allowances and life insurance, contact the Veterans Benefits Administration, Department of Veterans Affairs, 1120 Vermont Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20421. Phone (800) 827-1000 to speak to a benefits counselor. The VBA maintains a website explaining various benefit programs, and provides a comprehensive listing of all local offices at:

Find Unclaimed Life Insurance - Trace and claim a lost life insurance policy.

Click binoculars to initiate a search for a lost life insurance policy

Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI) is group life insurance for service members on active duty, ready reservists, members of the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Public Health Service, cadets and midshipmen of the service academies, and members of the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC).

SGLI is available in $10,000 increments up to a maximum $250,000. SGLI insured's have two options available to them upon release from service: they can convert their full-time SGLI coverage to term insurance under the Veterans' Group Life Insurance program, or to a permanent plan of insurance with a participating commercial insurance company. 

Servicemembersí Group Life Insurance (SGLI) Claims -- Complete the form: SGLV 8283 Claim for Death Benefits and fax to 1-877-832-4943 or mail to:

Office of Servicemembers Group Life Insurance (OSGLI)
80 Livingston Avenue
Roseland, New Jersey 07068-1733

Veterans' Group Life Insurance (VGLI) is a program of post-separation insurance which provides for the conversion of SGLI to 5-year renewable term insurance. Members with full-time SGLI coverage are eligible for VGLI upon release from service. 

Veteransí Group Life Insurance (VGLI) Claims  -- Complete the form SGLV 8283 Claim for Death Benefits Claim for Death Benefits and fax to 1-877-832-4943 or mail to:

Office of Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (OSGLI)
80 Livingston Avenue
Roseland, New Jersey 07068-1733

VA Life Insurance Claims (not SGLI/VGLI)

Different forms are available for Principal Beneficiaries, Contingent Beneficiaries, Estate Representatives, Minors and Incompetent Persons. Download and complete the appropriate form at How To File An Insurance Claim and fax {1-888-748-5822} or mail it to the following address:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Regional Office and Insurance Center
P O Box 7208
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19101

Military Service Records: The National Personnel Records Center / Military Personnel Records (NPRC-MPR) is the repository for all military personnel, health and medical records. MPR  provides Form DD-214 and other separation documents that are required to process most types of claims, including those for burial assistance, pensions and life insurance.

The NPRC-MPR receives thousands of requests each week for information regarding the payment of dividends and benefits to holders of government life insurance policies. Unclaimed benefits are owed a number of current and former policyholders and beneficiaries) owed participants in the U.S. Government Life, National Service Life Insurance, Veterans Special Life Insurance, Veterans Reopened Insurance, and Service-Disabled Veterans Life programs.

A large source of unclaimed funds includes death awards, dividends and premium refunds that were mailed to policyholders but returned as undeliverable due to lack of a forwarding address. Pursuant to the Privacy Act of 1974, the Department of Defense requires that all requests for information be made in writing. They must be dated and signed, as well. Standard Form 180 - Request Pertaining to Military Records - can be obtained from your local Veterans Affairs Office or downloaded from the NPRC website: The completed form may be submitted online, or by mail or fax. 

Note In 1973, between 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files were destroyed in a fire. No duplicate copies were maintained. Primarily affected are those who served in the Army between 1912 and 1960, and Air Force personnel discharged between 1947 and 1964. Records prior to 20th century are stored at the National Archives in Washington D.C.